I am back! Few trips and a move behind me, it feels good to be back to old routines.
And while planning last Saturday’s baking session I needed something simple and easy to make but presentable enough to share it with my friend during our slightly-intoxcitated Netflix binge: blondies it is.
If you tried really hard, you could say these blondies are refined sugar free – I promise to you it happened completely unintentionally. Caramelising nuts with honey is much easier and coconut sugar adds an amazing depth to any baking goods – if it wasn’t crazy expensive I would gladly substituted it for brown sugar in every single one of my recipes.
The result is great – they are chewy but crunchy, caramel-y and full of flavour but not to sweet – definitely one of my favourite recipes. I’m thinking about them now while getting ready to my weekday detox and really regretting not having another square when I had a chance…
(I know that browning butter might seems scary but worry not – I am the clumsiest person I know and can’t remember the last time I burned the butter or the pan. Just keep an eye on it for five minutes and nothing will happen. )
Brown Butter Blondies with Caramelised Pecans
2 cups Flour
4 tsp vanilla extract
1 3/4 cups Coconut Sugar or Dark Brown Sugar
1 cup dark chocolate chips
For Caramelised Pecans:
100g pecans, roughly chopped
1 tbsp butter
1/4 cup honey
- Brown the butter: Start by melting it over a medium heat occasionally swirling the pan. As the butter melts, it will begin to foam – give it 3 to 4 minutes. You will know your butter is starting to brown when the bubbling and foaming simmers down and becomes smelling nutty. Give it another minute and transfer to a big bowl. Cool it off for 15-20 minutes.
- While the butter is cooling, caramelise your pecans by mixing it over medium heat with butter and honey in a medium sized pan. Mix them frequently with a wooden sized spatula for approximately 5 minutes until sticky and browned. Transfer to a small bowl.
- Heat the oven up to 175 degrees Celsius/ 350 Fahrenheit. Line 8×8 (20x20cm) pan with baking paper.
- Whisk together flour and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk eggs and vanilla.
- Mix the coconut sugar into the cooled butter with a wooden spatula
- Add eggs & vanilla to butter & sugar. Mix for 30s.
- Add dry ingredients (flour and salt) to the mixture. Mix until combined but with some bits of flour are still visible.
- Add chocolate chips and caramelised pecans to the mixture and stir until fully combined.
- Spoon the mixture out to the pan and bake for 25-30 mins. The edges should turn slightly crispy and you should be able to see small cracks beginning to form on the top.
- Take out of oven and cool completely